Brooklyn Public Library

Five Decades of Fear

Oct 26, 2010 4:35 PM | 0 comments

I’m not a fan of today’s horror movies with their unnecessarily gratuitous blood and gore. I prefer scary movies that mess with my head and make me afraid to come out from under the covers or be home alone. Whenever I get an urge to be frightened, I always turn to what I consider are horror movie classics.

Some of my favorites from the 1950s and 1960s are black and white thrillers like House of Wax, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Night of the Living Dead and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane. In my opinion, the absence of Technicolor just gives it that extra spooky appeal.

For 70s classics, I gravitate toward films that take something simple like babysitting (When a Stranger Calls) or moving into a new house (The Amityville Horror) and turn it into your worst nightmare. I dare you to sleep well after watching them.

I’ve always loved a good vampire story, and the 1980s did not disappoint with gems like Fright Night and The Lost Boys. These funny, yet scary, films had me stockpiling garlic and holy water in my room at night!

But to be honest, no ghoul or goblin is scarier than what regular humans do to hurt one another, and that’s why The Silence of the Lambs and Scream had me creeped out for most of the 90s. However, honorable mention goes out to Christopher Walken in The Prophecy for making me afraid to go to church!

So while there were a few movies in this decade that gave me a start here and there (The Ring, 1408), nothing beats a horror flick from the archives to top off my Halloween night.

What are some of your favorites?

Bookmark and Share

A Wry Writer's Recommended Reading

Oct 26, 2010 10:16 AM | 0 comments

Jon Glaser is an actor, writer and comedian whose offbeat sensibilities have blazed new trails in the alternative comedy world. As well as writing for the cult hit Human Giant, he spent five years as a writer and actor on Late Night with Conan O’Brien. Glaser got his start in TV by writing for the wildly influential (and sadly short-lived) Dana Carvey Show, which also launched the careers of Steve Carrel and Stephen Colbert.

Glaser is the creator and star of Delocated on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim lineup. The show mostly shoots in Manhattan, but he lives in Park Slope. Check out this Brooklyn writer’s favorite books for kids and adults:

Books for Kids:

Fraud by David Rakoff

Get Your War On by David Rees

World’s End by T. Coraghessan Boyle

Bookmark and Share

Is the Future Green?

Oct 25, 2010 3:28 PM | 0 comments

Green is all the rage these days, and I’m not talking about the color. If you’re a business owner, you might be wondering where your business fits within the increasing movement toward green practices. During the Business Library’s upcoming Con Edison Power Breakfast Series, you can learn by example.

Representatives from the business and environmental communities will tell you who’s going green, what's working and what's not, and how this movement will help your business. There are two seminars you can attend:

Promoting the Environment: A New Image for Big Box Stores

Wednesday, November 3, 8:30 AM

Major retailers, including IKEA and Target, explain why they're promoting sustainable innovations, and what it means for their bottom line.

Has the Time for Transit-Oriented Development Arrived?

Wednesday, November 17, 8:30 AM

Experts from the Regional Plan Association, Jonathan Rose Companies and Transportation Alternatives explain how new ways of getting around the city will impact development and business.

Visit our website to register for one of these seminars today.

Con Edison is the sponsor of the Power Breakfast Series.

Bookmark and Share

Party With A Twist

Oct 21, 2010 3:32 PM | 0 comments

Purchase tickets here.

Bookmark and Share

Oscar-Nominated Bologna

Oct 20, 2010 9:51 AM | 0 comments

Actor and Brooklyn native Joseph Bologna is probably best recognized as Michael Caine’s ne’er-do-well friend in Blame It on Rio, but he was first introduced to me on the short-lived musical television show Rags to Riches as Nick Foley, the adoptive father of five foster daughters.

Here’s a tasty tidbit I bet you didn’t know: Bologna and his wife of 45 years, Renée Taylor (The Nanny), are Academy Award-nominated writers for their work on the film Lovers and Other Strangers, based on the play they wrote of the same name.

Check out what this actor-writer selects as his top must-read books:

Books for Kids

The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Books for Adults

Candide by Voltaire

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Visit us online to read these and other great books.

Bookmark and Share