Brooklyn Public Library

...and not another Peep out of you.

Mar 20, 2008 5:21 PM | 12 comments

Easter is around the corner, and Peep culture is in full swing! In honor of those sugared marshmallow treats – which are only available for the next few weeks – we’re proud to present…

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Peeps (But Were Afraid   To Ask):

• Peeps were originally created by hand, a process that took approximately 27 hours per peep.
  • Each peep contains just 32 calories.
  • A peep will swell to several times its normal size when microwaved.
  • All peeps are made at the Just Born candy factory in Bethlehem, PA. Click here for a tour!

Want more peep particulars? Check out this slideshow of award-winning peep dioramas at the Washington Post website, or hit up BPL’s stacks for a book on the history of candy-making.

Bookmark and Share

Comments

3/21/2008 11:02:13 AM #

oh tasty!!  yoink!  *checks out book* ... and now to find a book on the invention of the history of cream cheese!  anyone out there know when strawberry cream cheese was invented?

littlegreenfroggy

3/21/2008 11:27:42 AM #

I once microwaved a peep, and blew it to smithereens. The post clean-up wasn't as good as the explosion though.

Incidentally, I love a good strawberry cream cheese, especially on a Triscuit! Or perhaps a bagel, a real bagel that is, not a lousy west-coast excuse for a bagel.

The Don of Wan

3/21/2008 11:57:56 AM #

Is this blog working? Aaaah, the internet, glooorious internet!

I wonder how long peeps take to make now? Probably seconds apiece in our modern world of manufacturing. I could check a book out on that!

To the previous poster: Are you referring to regular strawberry cream cheese or low fat?

Chester Winfield

3/21/2008 1:45:44 PM #

Wikipedia has some great info on Regular Cream Cheese, but not flavors.

I can has bagel with Strawberry Cream Cheese?

elido

3/21/2008 3:22:09 PM #

Yummmmmmm. Peeps! Although I don't know why anyone would put one in the microwave.

Sue

3/21/2008 6:43:47 PM #

Awesome photo of the Peeps!  I <3 the Brooklyn Public Library and I am so glad you have started a blog.  Not really concerned about the start of Strawberry Cream
Cheese but I would love a great recommendation for a Healthy Smoothie recipe book.

Tahlulla

3/24/2008 11:10:15 AM #

Tahlulla,
Try "The Ultimate Smoothie Book" by Cherie Calbom.  The Central Library has it with the call number 641.589 C.  If Central is not convenient, it can be put on hold and sent to your neighborhood branch.  Each recipe has complete nutritional info.

Dorothy

3/24/2008 12:03:17 PM #

What is the cause for the love of peeps that some of us have? Besides the religious meaning of Easter I look forward all year to my little yellow peeps. There are so many other candies and peeps are very like marshmallows but just not the same. At the age of 51 I recently made myself feel sick after overindulging.

Debbie

3/26/2008 12:29:57 PM #

ok!  i read the book recommended (the history of candy-making) and i liked it more as a graphic design book than a history of candy making book.  It highlights brands and companies and has images of their logos and labels on every page.  the peeps section is very small - they were invented in 1954 and first came out with rather garish looking wings on their backs. also contains some recipes in the back.  but really the best part of the book is the images, takes me back....

chester, i'm talking regular old normal strawberry cream cheese.... i can't find my answer anywhere, i've called phone librarians and have chatted with them, no one can seem to find it.  i'm calling kraft next.

littlegreenfroggy

3/26/2008 9:19:24 PM #

Dorothy, Thanks for the recommendation. I will definitely check it out!

Tahlulla

8/11/2009 1:36:46 PM #

I love peeps, they look and taste so good.

Kathy

11/12/2009 4:51:41 PM #

I love peeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

christina